Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links
Does your sweetheart enjoy traveling? What better way to say ‘I love you’ than a thoughtful gift. Gift giving is actually one of the 5 love languages. No idea what that is? Basically, family counselor, Gary Chapman, has a theory that humans have five emotional love languages — five ways that people speak and understand emotional love. I won’t expound on this too much, but the book is worth a read. (You can buy it here). It’s very successful in improving relationships, both romantic and familial. However, gift-giving is one of the love languages. Gifts are often a symbol of love; a way of saying “I’m thinking of you.” The more thoughtful, the better. So, if you want to get your nomad something special, keep reading.
You may have read my previous post on 20 Gift Ideas, but I’d like to offer some additional advice when it comes to Valentine’s Day. (I pride myself on being an awesome gift-giver). Valentine’s Day is a different vibe than Christmas, so how can you incorporate these gifts in a special way? I have several gift-giving ideas to share that are perfect for Valentine’s Day. They aren’t exclusive to holidays though, so feel free to use at any time!
Idea #1: An Experience
Nomads love nothing more than exploring and experiencing the world, so the biggest gift you can give us is an experience. I have a personal example to share, as my girlfriend gifted me with an experience for Christmas. I’ve lived in Orlando, Florida for two years now, and I embarrassingly announced to her that I have never been to Disney. (Nope, never been in my entire 24.8 years). She surprised me with gift cards to the Happiest Place on Earth for Christmas. I’m looking forward to experiencing the magical kingdom, especially with her. I must admit that it’s the best gift I have ever received. No one knows your sweetie better than you, so gift them with an experience that they will love. Whether it’s a cooking class or skydiving, it’ll be memorable. “Fill your life with experiences, not things.”
Idea #2: A Stay-Cation
A stay-cation is perfect if you are lacking funds/time to plan something bigger. If you can snag a good deal on an Airbnb or a local hotel, this will be perfect. You could even stay home. Grab some rose petals, wine, etc, and plan a romantic evening in your city. Try dining at a new restaurant or taking a stroll through the park. The possibilities are endless because who knows your city better than you?
Idea #3: Gift Basket
Of course, this is applicable to everyone and all interests, but I am providing some basket ideas for the wanderer.
Gift Basket 1: The techie basket. If your soulmate is a techie-traveler, why not incorporate his/her passion for tech and travel into one amazing gift basket.
- GoPro HERO5 Session: For the adventurer, Go Pros are perfect. Small, lightweight, and water-resistant: they can capture your most adventurous memories.
- Wireless/Bluetooth Headphones: You can go with the bigger over-ear headphones like Beats or something smaller and lightweight like these. Smaller and lighter is usually best for the traveler.
- World Travel Adapter Kit: Techies need to stay connected. To ensure you don’t have a power outage, you need a travel adapter. Many other countries have different outlets than the U.S.
- Tile-Mate – Anything Finder: Just as it says, you can find anything with this. You use your smartphone to make your Tile Mate ring when it’s nearby but out of sight. If you are constantly losing things (like me), then this is great!
- Splash-proof Bluetooth Speaker: JBL offers a splash-proof speaker that would be perfect for island hoppers. It’s also a higher quality speaker for the audiophiles of the world.
Gift Basket 2: The Globe-trotter Gift Basket. Sometimes a random assortment of travel things is all we need.
- Fujifilm Instax Mini: Fujifilm is like a modern day Polaroid. Get instant photos everywhere you go with a vintage feel.
- Carry on Cocktail Kit: For those that enjoy a cocktail in-flight!
- Passport Cover and Luggage Tag Set: Pro-tip: It’s easier to spot your luggage on the carousel with a trendy tag. Plus, it’s just cute!
- Travel Journal: This item is perfect for writing, drawing, sketching, quick notes, and saving memorabilia.
- Travel Organizer: Honestly, this is one of the must-take items on any trip. I would lose my head if it wasn’t attached to my body, so organization is key.
Gift Basket 3: The Beauty Basket. Maintaining a balanced skin-care and/or hair-care routine while traveling is often a difficult thing to do. Give a thoughtful gift by combining all of the essentials, travel-sized. Show how much you really care by going all-naturale!
- Jane Carter Travel Size Kit: Naturalistas will definitely appreciate this one!
- All-Natural Dental Travel Kit: Research suggests that many mainstream toothpaste brands include harmful chemicals, so this is a completely natural brand that meets TSA size requirements.
- Dr. Bronner’s Magic Soap: The miracle soap! If you haven’t tried Dr. Bronner’s, you definitely should. It is 100% natural and works for EVERYTHING! Face, body, hair, literally everything.
- 3-Step Shaving Kit: Men need care too. This 3-step shaving kit is travel-sized and also all natural.
- Women’s Convenience Kit: If you don’t necessarily care about being natural, go for this 20-pc kit that includes the brands you know and love.
- Men’s Convenience Kit: This 15-pc kit also includes popular brands for men.
These ideas can certainly be mixed, matched, and substituted. They can be given for holidays, birthdays, and special occasions, not just on Valentine’s Day. You can read my top 20 gifts for travelers here if you need more inspiration. Do you have any special gift giving stories that you’d like to share? I’d love to hear about it!